Sunday, January 20, 2008

Christmas in Oz

Well, I've copped a far amount of criticism for not blogging more regularly... so I'll try harder starting from now.

It is 5 am Sunday morning. Most of you will know that I am NOT a morning person. So, you might wonder what am I doing up at this crazy hour. Most of you will conclude that I've just not gone to bed yet, or that I'm stuck at work running an experiment and am bored.

If you thought these things then you'd be wrong..... plain and simple.... jet-lag! I've not really experienced it like this before, but that is life. I rolled over this morning to find Iain gone... he has it even worse than I and was up at 4 am.

So, we arrived home in Cambridge at 11 pm on Friday night. It's a long story so I'll start from before Christmas when we left.



Twas the night before Christmas and Iain and Kate,
had their bags all packed, their labels on tight.
Their passports lined their pockets with care,
in the hope that their homeland would soon be there.

They boarded a taxis, followed by a bus
that drove them to Heathrow amoungst all the fuss.
The fog was so thick that the planes were all down,
Excepting for long-hauls, relieving their frown.

They squeezed on the plane and sat in their seats,
Not a single one was vacant, everyone wanted the Ozzie heat.
The plane it took off making a clean get-away,
We were all grateful we did not have to stay.

Movies and food and some disturbed sleep,
I've got very few memories of this I shall keep.
At mid-way house we hit Singapore,
Twas hot and humid and left us wanting more.

In Syndey we landed on Chrismtas Day,
And immediately headed our homeward way.
Throught the warmth and the traffic in Sydney our home,
While listening quietly to the taxi driver moan.

Iain, he said, has an English accent.
I'm not sure he really knew what he meant.
We watched in wonder as Syndey passed by,
Inside we both felt a joyous cry!

And slowly but surely Castlecrag came into sight,
While the sunlight was fading, but still was warm and bright.
Inside everyone was just starting the Christmas meal,
So we joined them and ate, and drank, and talked- twas surreal.

Christmas in Sydney was all about Sun,
And having lots and lots of fun.
We didn't last long after the long flight
And soon we wished all a Happy Chrismtas and all a good night!


Well, that was what the flight was like.... we arrived at aqbout 8.30pm at Castlecrag on Christmas night. It was a beautiful warm evening (most people were complaining it was too cold), but to our damp-soaked UK bones it felt like heaven. We hadn't been back for 2 years!!!!!

An important note to make here: TWO YEARS IS TOO LONG!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm tired again (I've got a really nasty cold from Japan), so I'm going to leave this installment there and try to go back and get some sleep.

I've try to get through the social stuff later today so I can get to Japan which was fun as well and has better pics.

Adios.

K.

1 comment:

vivianne said...

There is a book coming out entitled "Christmas in Oz" --
part of the Alpimar series of new Oz books. Don't know if it will be out this Christmas or not.